Faith and Work Ministry
Michele leads classes on career assessments, leadership, and other issues related to faith and work. Listen to a podcast of Michele on a panel discussing Career Transitions.
If you would like Michele to serve as a guest speaker or to network with the ministry team, e-mail email@example.com.
ABOUT THE MINISTRY
Our purpose is to transform people, their work, and the workplaces of San Diego by bringing the hope of redemption and renewal that comes through the Gospel to the marketplace.
The ministry is guided by 4 foundational values:
1. We believe our work is part and parcel of our relationship with God. He created us in His image and gave us tasks to perform.
2. Through his teachings, Jesus made it clear our professional gifts (teaching, scientific, management, music-making) should be used for the common good and to glorify God.
3. We believe people can – and must – live out the Gospel in and through their work. Jesus did not reject the real world – nor did he reject work. He lived among the people of His culture and labored side-by-side with them. In the same way, we are to engage meaningfully with the culture and people of our workplaces. And we are to see our life’s work as missional.
4. We want to equip Christians to:
- think about their work in a distinctively Christian way.
- do their work with excellence.
- be people of integrity in all of their life, including the marketplace.
PARTICIPATE IN THE MINISTRY
Seminars and Workshops ground participants with theologically-sound thinking about the impact of the Gospel on their work life and provide practical tools for addressing daily issues we face at work. Through our seminars, we explore big questions like “why do I work?” and “what is my life purpose.” Christian business leaders and topical experts also provide insights into day-to-day issues, such as living with integrity, resolving conflict, leading like Jesus, and making career decisions.
Small Group Meetings provide opportunities to explore personally how the Gospel impacts you, your work, and your workplace. The life-changing power of the Gospel is unleashed in community as we learn from each other and live out our faith together. Formats range from monthly topical meetings to six-week studies covering general faith and work issues. We also offer self-assessment groups, such as StrengthsFinder and Myers-Briggs, where you can learn how God uniquely wired you.
Vocares are vocation-based conversations about calling. People in various professions, such as engineering, law, and teaching, are invited to join a group of people in a similar profession to have a meal together. Meaningful conversations about your profession help you frame your perspective on what it means to be called by God to your work.
A New Venture Incubator helps Harbor Church members form new entities (small businesses, para-church organizations, educational centers, service groups, etc.) in which they can use their professional skills and talents to serve those in need. This program is in partnership with the Harbor’s Mercy Ministry and partner Christian-based organizations.
The College Ministry is a new initiative with the goal of providing resources for people just entering the workforce. Our goal is to help college students cast a vision for their future – to inspire them to find the work they were created to do. We also provide practical resources for resume writing and interviewing.
A Resource Center at www.faithandworkministry.org provides foundational material to help you think about your work in a distinctly Christian way. We also partner with organizations around San Diego to help you find opportunities to network and engage in issues of faith and work within our community.
Please visit www.faithandworkministry.org for upcoming opportunities to get involved.